[Wine] Problems with Wine on FreeBSD

Tijl Coosemans tijl at coosemans.org
Sat Feb 20 10:54:48 CST 2010

On Saturday 20 February 2010 01:32:48 atalaras wrote:
> I have recently upgraded to FreeBSD 8.0 from 7.1. Under 7.1 i used a
> copy of wine i got from winehq, 1.1.13, compiled myself and used it
> to run Firefox. It ran flawlessly firefox. I prefer to use Windows
> firefox as it is better than native firefox, much better and flash
> also works better, or did work fine under FreeBSD 7.1 but not now. So
> i would like to help find out what has changed and why it no longer
> works.
>
> after upgrading to FreeBSD 8.0, now the firefox screens appear to be
> somewhat corrupted, the fonts appear to be off or not the correct
> fonts and sometimes the graphics look corrupted or damaged. It looks
> like there may be problems with compositing perhaps. One possibility
> is a problem with with the X Render library was one of my guesses but
> i dont know if that is it. I have actually tried both my old 1.1.13
> and 1.1.38 (also from winehq) and get the same results with bad
> graphics and fonts. It seems like something may have changed with
> FreeBSD's X.org between 7.1 and 8.0 and this broke Wine but this is
> only a guess. I can post a screenshot if needed and would like to
> help with some further diagnostics of this issue.

Have you tried building Wine from ports to see if that one works?
If it doesn't we'll need your /etc/X11/xorg.conf and
/var/log/Xorg.0.log and the output of "pkg_info -rx wine". I've
included my output of that, so you can check if perhaps you miss any
dependencies. My packages are somewhat outdated though.

Information for wine-1.1.34,1:

Depends on:
Dependency: xf86vidmodeproto-2.2.2
Dependency: xextproto-7.0.5