[Wine] Screen goes white while playing WonderKing

ryan woodsmall rwoodsmall at mac.com
Mon Feb 22 18:37:10 CST 2010

> I'm having difficulties running WonderKing (http://wonderking.ndoorsgames.com/center/default.asp) on an Intel Mac version 10.5.8 using Wine 1.1.35.
>
> I was able to download and install both programs successfully, but when I run WonderKing, I'm able to get to the first screen where you can check to see if you have all the files needed to run the game (I have all of them), change from full screen to window screen, view the news, or press the start button.
>
> After pressing the start button, the game appears to be working fine, the hackShield doesn't find any problems, and then the "real" game launches. The window is white and stays white no matter how long I wait or what I try.
>
> I've changed X11 and WonderKing's preferences, tried re-installing the game, downloaded "fix-it" files from their site, restarting the computer, and everything else I could think of.
>
> I searched the appDB and it's not there, there's no anti-virus programs running to stop the game from working, and I've got no clue of what to do to fix it, if that is even possible.
>
> So can anyone help or tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Where did you get/build your Wine distro from?  If you're having an issue with WineBottler or another custom Wine build, you may need to ask the provider or file a bug in their support system.

As you're on Mac OS X 10.5/Leopard, you'll likely need to install Xquartz to get a decent X11 server:

  http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki

I'd recommend sticking with the latest 2.3 release for Leopard:

  http://xquartz.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/Releases

What kind of video card do you have in your Mac?  If it's an onboard Intel (GMA950, X3100), it may or may not have enough oomph run the game.  If you have an Nvidia or ATI GPU, either should work well enough.