[Wine] Eve Online in Ubuntu

Muskiet wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Feb 22 23:01:52 CST 2010

I recently switched to Ubuntu from Windows XP with only Eve Online being a Windows program I want to be able to run on my computer.
I have read this thread:
http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1139274
and this thread:
http://www.eveonline.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=1226117
to make Eve work in Ubuntu using Wine.
I must say that with a dual monitor system Eve runs much better (doesn't minimize every time I do something on my second monitor) then in Windows XP, when it works.

I have found two problems that might or might not be related.
About 50% of the time I try to log on (after clicking my character's picture) it starts loading Eve as normal but eventually in the “Entering the games as....” part the progress bar slows down to a crawl and eventually halts altogether and I find my entire system frozen.
The only thing I can do at that point is press the reset button.

The other thing is a sort of random crashing I'm experiencing, usually this happens either when entering or exiting warp.
Sometimes it happens after three jumps when traveling large distances, and sometimes I can travel 20 jumps before the system crashes on me.
The screen freezes up and I get a “The program exefile.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close” message.
I usually need to invoke “xkill” to actually get the frozen Eve Online to go away, and I can try again to start the program.

I have seen some threads with similar problems, but haven't seen a real solution yet.
It doesn't help that I'm new to Ubuntu and have sometimes no clue what is said.

I like Ubunut, I really do, but I really need Eve Online running trouble free so if anybody has any idea's, please reply.

Thanx