[Wine] Problems with the Java cirtual machine

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Fri Feb 26 15:48:11 CST 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 14:58 -0600, chamanx64 wrote:
> Martin Gregorie wrote:

> > > The error message should be a clue.  You need more memory.  There is a command that will show you how much memory is in use and where.  Wine does need memory to run in and then you put the Java VM on top of that.  You may be running out of physical memory.

> > > More memory, if you can go to 4GB that would be much better for this.
> > >
> > > James McKenzie
> > >

> > How big is your swap partition?
> >

> > Martin
>

> Hello Martin, Thanks for your answer. My Swap partition is 4GB.

That's what I'd set too: twice physical RAM. That certainly works with a
Linux native Sun JVM. Back when my main server only had 256 MB RAM I was
regularly running Java processes with -Xmx460m when it overflowed RAM it
got pretty slow due to page faulting but it kept on running. However,
the Windows memory map is a lot different to the Linux one and has
different limitations. I have vague memories that an XP process can't
exceed about 1.8GB due to OS limits but may have misremembered.

Have you watched the process run with the top utility? If so, did it
ever use swap space and/or did the process virtual memory exceed RAM (or
the -Xmx setting) before it all fell apart?

It may be worth while visiting the comp.lang.java.programmer newsgroup,
but search its archive for similar problems first. If you don't find
anything, ask your question on c.l.j.p. In any case there are people
there who regularly run Java code under Windows: I don't.

Is it possible to make an SSCE[1] that can demonstrates the problem?
That may give you a clue to follow. If you visit c.l.j.p you'll probably
be asked for one, so making one is a good debugging exercise.

Martin

[1]SSCE = Short, Self Contained, Compilable, Example
   See http://pscode.org/sscce.html for more details.