[Wine] Re: "Serious Error" with Mac OS X Leopard

doh123 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Feb 26 18:32:05 CST 2010

James Mckenzie wrote:

> > some platinum games aren't quite as platinum on Macs because X11 sucks so bad on Macs.  Try the same
> > installer in a virtual desktop.
> >

> Or you can try installing version 2.4.0 of XQuartz or you can try using the MacPorts version of X11.
>
> Apple IS trying to make X11 better and maybe we should help them by testing/reporting problems to the XQuartz and MacPorts teams.
>
> One thing I will mention is that Leopard must be at version 10.5.8 in order to use the latest version of X11 from either of these fine organizations.
>
> James McKenzie

I was referring to the latest version... yes its better than it used to be, but for Wine it still sucks.... all they really need for Wine to run a lot better is proper fullscreen and rootless switching... and a real working RANDR... its been a requested feature for over 2 years, maybe some day they'll have it.  Hard to do any games in Wine without it.

But the latest up to date Xquartz is always best to get from Macports.... the maintainer of the Macports Xquartz is the same person who maintains Xquartz.