[Wine] Wine Doesn't Detect Extra Drives

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 27 17:37:33 CST 2010

WarKirby wrote:
> Thunderbird wrote:
>
>> In winecfg you need to set the drives up
>>

> I explained that I'd already tried several things in the wine config, so I don't know what to do with this advice. Can you be more specfic on how I would set them up?
>

>> but really don't use Wine in combination with Windows partitions, you can easily mess up your Windows installation, break programs and also mess up Wine. Most programs don't work from a Windows partition due to missing registry keys and dlls.
>>

> What's the alternative, wipe 300 GB of apps and reinstall everything?

If you want to use them with Wine, yes.  If you really don't need them, no.

> I find that a lot things actually work ok. Poser 7, for example, has worked for me across about 5 different windows installs, and now ubuntu too. It seems to have everything it needs self contained in it's own directory.

If that is the case, then you might be able to get away with linking to
the program itself and then linking into an area that both Linux and
Windows can 'see'.  However, Linux may or may not be able to use it.
The file system, for now, must be FAT16/FAT32.  Most, if not all, NTFS
drivers have problems with Wine.

> For things that don't, then I reinstall them as needed.

Good idea.  See comment above about a cross-system solution.  I've used
when passing files between the two.  I really don't like NTFS, but it is
an unavoidable evil for most later versions of Windows.

One comment:  I've been using Linux/Windows/Other OSs for many years.
My knowledge may be a little rusty...

James McKenzie