[Wine] Never had an app work in WINE

CasperTFG wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Feb 28 19:32:56 CST 2010

I have been a Linux user off and on for about 10 years.  In that time I have never been able to make a single app work (other than Notepad) with WINE, even the ones that AppDB claims work perfectly.  This is true on 6 different machines running Kubuntu, Slackware, OpenSUSE, and Red Hat & Fedora.

What gives?  I've followed all of the documentation to a "T".  Searches only return vague, incomplete answers like "copy this file" without telling where to copy it to!  What the H-E-Double-Chopsticks am I missing?  It can't possibly be so complicated that I need to understand Windows and DirectX inside out, can it?  This is my only hurdle to chucking Windows in the trash, but I just cannot get there.  Can anyone point me to some better documentation (books, online docs, anything at all)?  Any better way to learn what I'm doing?
 [Crying or Very sad]