[Wine] Re: Easily changing directory where program files should be inst

doh123 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Jan 4 21:38:09 CST 2010

not sure if I'm on track or not.... I might be misunderstanding what is wanted.

if you want to keep your prefix in ~/.wine but just have "Program Files" on a different drive, then you can do this by making a symlink....  just put Program Files on the other drive and create a symlink to it called Program Files in drive_c of the wineprefix.

I'm not sure what OS your using or where your mounts are.. but this example would work on Mac OS X.... you'd have to modify it slightly for Linux depending where your mounts are.... (OSX uses /Volumes)

I'd move Program Files folder over to my other drive, say in /Volumes/SecondHardDrive
mv "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files" "/Volumes/SecondHardDrive"

then I'd go into my drive_c...
cd "~/.wine/drive_c"

then I'd make this symlink...
ln -s "/Volumes/SecondHardDrive/Program Files" "Program Files"

this would effectively make anything trying to access "~/.wine/drive_c/Program Files" see (read/write) the actual contents of "/Volumes/SecondHardDrive/Program Files"