[Wine] Xeltek SuperPro III Programer

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Thu Jan 7 08:58:36 CST 2010

On Thu, 2010-01-07 at 07:57 -0600, mrossi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've a PC with Ubuntu 9.10 and a parallel port Xeltek SuperPro III
> Programer for work. The software SP3 runs under Wine but it cant
> communicate with the programer through the port. How I can open the
> port? I supose that is a dumb question, but Im a novice in Linux.

Check the access permissions on the parallel ports:

	ls -l /dev/lp*

If Ubuntu is like Fedora, only root and the lp group have access to
parallel ports. There are two  things you can do. Pick either:

1) add the user where you run WINE to the lp group
2) add the command line
	chmod uga+rw /dev/lp*"
   to the /etc/rc.d/rc.local system script. You'll have to be root
   to do that. Doing this will give all users read and write access
   to all parallel ports each time you boot the system.

I'd suggest you try (1) first, since is less drastic than (2).

Martin