[Wine] First time Ubuntu 9.10 user trying to install wine-1.1.36.

gill_85 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jan 17 22:10:53 CST 2010

I'm hoping there is someone out there that can help me with my dilema.

This is my first time using linux after being hammered by a friend for years to try it.  So when i found out that I would be able play my windows based games and other programs using wine I finally caved in and decided to give it a try.

One problem though. I use wifi for my laptop and have no internet conection for the desktop.  I tried getting help from my buddy and all he's ever done to install packages is through the internet not by downloading to one computer and installing on another.  So I'm at a loss.

I was wondering if anyone out there would be kind enough to give me step by step instructions on how to solve my dilema.  Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Things I've tried: Downloading wine onto laptop and saving on flash drive. Transfering to desktop and extracting.

I tried to use the synaptic package manager to install it but it doesnt come up as in the library under any source.

I've also read that you can make an install CD but i havent found any information on what state the package has  to be in  in order to make it work.

Am I on the right track at all.  Please help

Gill_85