[Wine] Re: First time Ubuntu 9.10 user trying to install wine-1.1.36.

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Jan 18 08:18:48 CST 2010

gill_85 wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone out there would be kind enough to give me step by step instructions on how to solve my dilema.  Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Things I've tried: Downloading wine onto laptop and saving on flash drive. Transfering to desktop and extracting.

It sounds like you've downloaded the source code. Does the filename end in .tar.bz2? If so, that's source, and you can't just extract and install it, you have to build it. If the file ends in .deb, you've got the binary, but you shouldn't extract it; you have to install it with your package manager. (The binary is what you want, unless you really want to learn how to build from source.)

As for installing the .deb once you have it, I don't use Ubuntu, so I'm just guessing here, but after copying the .deb file to the target computer, try double-clicking on it in your file manager. Hopefully, that will bring up the package manager. If it doesn't, try right-clicking and see if something like "install with package manager" is one of the options. If neither of those work, ask on the Ubuntu forum. There's definitely a way to install .deb packages from your local hard drive.