[Wine] Re: Which is the *Stable* download for Slackware?

dimesio wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Jan 27 19:45:53 CST 2010

Tim Johnson wrote:

> and I'm not sure from what I see there - which is the stable
> release for slackware 13.0?
> Can anyone help?
> thanks

First you need to understand just what "stable" means here. "Stable" refers to the branch as a whole, which is "stable" in the sense of "doesn't change much." It does NOT mean that version will perform better or is less likely to crash. In most cases, the latest development release offers better performance and stability.

There have been only two releases so far in the stable branch, 1.0.0 and 1.0.1. It looks like Slackware only has the earlier package.  It also looks like the latest development release they have is 1.1.29, which is pretty out of date. The current development release is 1.1.37.

I have no more idea than you what version of Slackware these packages are for, or why there apparently hasn't been a new one in such a long time. Packages are built by the distros; you really should be asking about this on the Slackware forum, or contact the Slackware package maintainer.

Or you could just build Wine yourself.