[Wine] Wine 1.2-rc?, nVidia, and WoW 3.3.5 Problems

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 1 14:31:32 CDT 2010

Forwarding to list.

One of my concerns is that we don't direct users to scan the forum entries before they post.

This is just one example of 'me too' messages in a series.

And the maddening thing is that folks like Jim below, don't have the problem.

Several 'fixes' have been posted to work around what originally appears to be brokenness in Wine, starting about 1.1.44, nVidia drivers starting around 195.35 and with Ubuntu 10.4 that affect World of Warcraft and other Blizzard games, starting with the lastest updates.

Solutions suggested have been:
Backlevel Wine (I don't know about you, but that is not good advice.)
Backlevel nVidia's drivers to a version lower than 195.26 (195.25 are reported to work.)
Add a package to your system (the package name is repeated several times in several threads in the forum.)

One thing to note:  This is NOT a Wine bug.  There are no changes that affect WoWs ability to run under Wine and I'm of the opinion that Blizzard would not deliberately break a very popular on-line game just to stop the use of Wine.

Please folks, scan through the forum and try the solutions.  If they don't work, then please visit the Wine Bugzilla.  If there is an open bug report for the problem, create a login and VOTE for the bug.  This lets developers (most of whom are voluteers) know that the problem is major.  If there is no bug report, please create one.  Unreported problems will NEVER get fixed, I have experience in this.

Thank you for your time and reading this post.

James McKenzie