[Wine] Singularity game has slow video

doctordruidphd wineforum-user at winehq.org
Thu Jul 1 16:10:03 CDT 2010

I am posting this here because the other posters in AppDB say the game works fine. For me, the video is slow and jerky, not playable at all.

System: Dell XPS630 q9550 dual core-2, 8gm RAM, 2x NVIDIA 9800GT, lots of disk space (meets all system requirements)
kUbuntu-10.04, all current updates, nvidia 195.36.24 driver. Have tried kde, gnome, and lxde desktops (compositing disabled), same problem in all cases.

I tried installing in a clean .wine directory. Without installing directX from the DVD, I get the following error messages:

[code]fixme:ntoskrnl:KeInitializeTimerEx stub: 0x110ff8 0
fixme:actctx:parse_depend_manifests Could not find dependent assembly L"Microsoft.VC90.CRT" (9.0.21022.8)
err:module:import_dll Library d3dx10_42.dll (which is needed by L"D:\\Activision\\Singularity\\Binaries\\Singularity.exe") not found
err:module:import_dll Library XAPOFX1_3.dll (which is needed by L"D:\\Activision\\Singularity\\Binaries\\Singularity.exe") not found
err:module:import_dll Library MSVCP90.dll (which is needed by L"D:\\Activision\\Singularity\\Binaries\\Singularity.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"D:\\Activision\\Singularity\\Binaries\\Singularity.exe" failed, status c0000135
[/code]

The missing dll's do not seem to be available in winetricks. So I installed DirectX from the DVD, and the game runs, but video is too slow to be useable.

This system does run other games (Witcher, Oblivion, Wolfenstein) in their own .wine directories just fine, so it should be working. I notice the video tweaks that used to be in the registry under HKCU/Software/Wine/ are no longer there.

Seems I missed something. Any ideas?