[Wine] Re: Problem with wine creating folders on installs

motub wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jul 3 04:14:00 CDT 2010

James McKenzie wrote:
> h2sammo wrote:
>
> > i realized it now creates the first folder "Perfect World Entertainment" but
> > not the next one inside it, "Perfect World International"
> >

> Unix has problems with spaces in directories.  This may be the case.  Is
> there a method to install into a different directory?
>
> James McKenzie

I don't so much agree. I've installed both Fallout 3 (Bethesda Softworks\\Fallout 3), Icewind Dale both 1 and 2 (Black Isle\\Icewind Dale and Black Isle\\Icewind Dale II), as well as The Sims 3 (Electronic Arts\\The Sims 3) and had no issues with either the fact that the folder names had spaces, or the fact that folders with spaces in their names were nested inside folders with spaces in their names, although in the distant past the nested folders would have had problems being created.

However, I don't ever install to Program Files, so if that's the issue-- especially if h2sammo has set the default Windows version to Vista or Win 7 or something with UAC-- then trying another install location than C:\Program Files is probably a good idea.

I would more wonder though, if there might not be "hidden" "invalid" characters in a Asian or other non-Latin language somewhere that the install is falling over-- I've had this happen to me in Windows more than once and it could be that Wine has inherited that bad behaviour. Wouldn't expect that from Jade Empire-- isn't that a Bioware game?-- but the other two I'm not familiar with, and tbh, you never know.

But in any event, as a temporary workaround  I would suggest that since you know what the folders are meant to be called, h2sammo, why not just create them ahead of time in  C:\Program Files and see if you can install the games to the pre-created folders. That would probably give us more information as to where the problem exactly lies.

If that works out, I might even then uninstall the game, and then reinstall to a new location. If you don't have other partitions that you could use, then create a "Games" folder in your /home folder and create a new drive in winecfg pointing to "/home/Games"; if you call that "drive" D:\ for example, then see if the game will create the folders D:\Perfect World Entertainment\Perfect World International.

If that works, we have yet more information, and you have (hopefully) at least one, possibly two install methods that allow you to actually play the games you've been working on so long now :D .

Holly