[Wine] how to run commands in "top-level directory"

Charles Davis cdavis at mymail.mines.edu
Sat Jul 3 20:21:21 CDT 2010

On 7/3/10 6:52 PM, Jfreaker wrote:
> thanks! but what does "cd" mean?
Change Directory. Like Thomas said, to use it, you have to open the
Terminal app (it's somewhere under the Applications menu, I can't
remember where because I haven't used Ubuntu in so long :).

But seriously, why are you trying to install Wine 1.0.1? It's very old
(over a year and a half), and it's about to be replaced with Wine 1.2.
In fact, if you have problems running a program under Wine 1.0, everyone
here will tell you it's time to upgrade to the latest Wine 1.2 release
candidate.

Also, that statement in the Wine 1.0 readme is outdated. The
"recommended" way to install Wine from source now is to say these magic
incantations (by which I mean, run these commands from Terminal):

cd /path/to/wine/sources
./configure
make depend
make
sudo make install

Replace '/path/to/wine/sources' with the actual path to the Wine
sources. So, if they were in /home/chip/wine-1.2-rc6, you'd 'cd' to
/home/chip/wine-1.2-rc6 in that first command. You can omit 'make
depend' in the Wine 1.2 RC.

To run a command in Terminal, all you do is type it in and press
Enter/Return. That's all we'll say about that; if you want more
information, there are plenty of good Unix command-line tutorials on the
Internet. Remember, Google is your friend.

Chip