[Wine] Question about Winetricks...

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon Jul 5 14:24:40 CDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 12:56 -0500, r2rX wrote:
> Code:
> /usr/bin$ sh winetricks
> winetricks: 3824: cannot create /home/ready2rumbelx/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp/zenity.sh: Permission denied
> winetricks: 3824: cannot create /home/ready2rumbelx/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp/zenity.sh: Permission denied
> sh: Can't open /home/ready2rumbelx/.wine/dosdevices/c:/winetrickstmp/zenity.sh

Your problem is because you're running winetricks in /usr/bin

DON'T DO THAT. EVER.

/usr/bin is for storing executables that come as part of your distro and
for nothing else. Period. Wine itself is installed in /usr/bin (your
distro put it there) but a .wine directory should never, ever be there.

Any other native Linux executables that you download should go
in /usr/local/bin and their config files should go in /usr/local/etc If
the executable doesn't look there for config files then its badly
written, so raise a bug with its developers.

Winetricks should *always* be run as the user that you're running wine
in and in that user's $HOME directory. If .wine isn't there, set
$WINEPREFIX to point to the .wine directory before running winetricks.

> Is this normal? Does winetricks running as 'root' save the necessary
> settings applicable for Wine on my account/profile?

No, and never run wine or winetricks as root.

Wine and winetricks are designed to run under a normal user in that
user's own directory structure. If they don't work like that its a clear
sign that you've screwed things up.

Martin