[Wine] copy Windows registry

L. Rahyen research at science.su
Tue Jul 6 02:13:31 CDT 2010

On 2010-07-06 (July, Tuesday) 06:28:50 ahso wrote:
> Hi
> l've managed to fly in FS9 by simply mounting my Win partition. Now a lot
>  of addons have registry entries so I wonder if I could bypass all this
>  installation orgy somehow? Anyone tried to copy the original Windows
>  registry to .wine? Also some paths would need adjustments? Thanks

	You can't do that (actually you can but it will brake EVERYTHING in your Wine
prefix). Not only in Wine but in Windows too. Think about Wine prefix(es) as
clean installation(s) of another version of Windows; you can't copy the
registry from Windows 7 to Windows XP and vice-versa without breaking
everything; similarly, you can't copy the registry from Windows to Wine or
vice-versa without breaking everything.

	Only way to bypass installation is by using programs like InstallRite but this
should be avoided (there a lot of reasons why such programs aren't perfect and
not always can replace real installation - remember that you should think about
Wine prefix like separate installation of Windows). If you can do normal
installation - do it. If you can't - report a bug.

	If you don't want to reinstall your application every time something brakes
for whatever reason, install it in separate Wine prefix, back up it and use your
application; if something brakes or you will want to "install" it for another
user, use the "clean" backup of Wine prefix with the installed application. This
is the best way to avoid installation(s).

	Of course if you are too lazy to even install your application at least once,
nothing will help you. For example if you are using Windows 7 and decided to
install Windows XP you will not be able to run most of your Windows
applications (installed in Windows 7) without reinstalling them (in Windows
XP). For Wine it is the same.