[Wine] drive letter problem, pclinuxos

Doug dmcgarrett at optonline.net
Fri Jul 9 22:07:00 CDT 2010

On 07/09/2010 06:57 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
>> The configurator shows:
>>
>> A:  /mnt/floppy
>> C:  ../drive_c
>> D:  /mnt/cdrom
>> E:  /home/doug
>> Z:  /
>>
>> I cannot access A: or D:, even when there is software in those
>> actual drives (i.e., floppy and CD).  Trying to access them
>> from the command prompt says "path not found."
>>

> Questions:
>
> 1) Are the floppy and CD automounted if you put a disk in the drive?
> 2) Is the floppy automounted as /mnt/floppy and the CD as /mnt/cdrom?
>
> If either floppy or CD doesn't automount (and I'd be surprised if the
> floppy automounts) you'll have to mount the disk before you can read it
> and remember to unmount it after use before you remove it from the
> drive. In this case, use the mount point that Wine is expecting.
>
> If either CD or floppy automounts to a different place, change the wine
> configuration to match the actual mount point. Recent Fedora distros
> automount CDs and USB mass storage devices as /media/LABEL where "LABEL"
> is the disk's volume name so its likely that pclinuxos does the same, in
> which case it may be easier to manually mount the disk so you can
> specify the name of the mount point to match the wine configuration.
>

> Martin

Thank you for enlightening me.  the problem is, I don't know
how to proceed from here.  It would appear that the floppy
automounts, since I have (in pclos) a folder which has the
name of the floppy (ACAD), but not any of the files.  The disk
is some kind of FAT fs--it's an old AutoCad LT from 1993--
and I don't know if pclos can read FAT.
Also, I have looked at the fstab, and I don't see any entry for
either the floppy or the cd-rom, but the system seems to
find them.  The fstab is in an unfamiliar format:  the first
entry reads as follows:

# Entry for /dev/sda1 :
UUID=fa0f413c-58ba-447a-913d-833d0ee93c94 / ext4 defaults 1 1

I get the general idea (I don't know how to get back to the original
font, here) but
this does not look like anything I ever saw in an fstab before.  There
do not seem to
be enough entries, and at any rate, there are only entries for sda1,
sda6, sda5, where sda6
is /home and sda5   is /swap, and then entries:

none   /dev/pts devpts defaults 0 0
tempfsss /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

I don't know what these devices are, and I don't know how to find out.  To
get back to the original question, how can I make Wine read the floppy
and the
CD drive, since I don't know what pclos calls them, or where.

I confess to not being very adept at the Linux command line stuff, having
been spoiled by too much graphic desktop in both Windows and Linux.
I am trying to do my homework, but I find myself at an impass.

--doug

Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A. M. Greeley