[Wine] Simple application made with visual studio 2005 not running

Vincent Povirk madewokherd at gmail.com
Sun Jul 11 21:12:13 CDT 2010

> "Unmanaged" Visual Studio apps work... .NET (Unfortuanatly, I thing
> Visual C++ is the only app with an unmanaged option) stuff not...
> (.NET is huge and require a massive part of Windows to run...) Proper
> portable .NET apps should be runnable under Mono, which tries to be
> compliant to the .NET specs... (When they start mixing in non-.NET
> code, Wine is needed...)

Actually, any .NET app, even one that uses the Windows API, should be
runnable in Mono on Windows (or Wine), with a few minor differences
that Wine's mscoree can account for properly.

It's just that in practice Mono (and Wine) are less than perfect

It's not even worth trying the Linux Mono with a program designed only
for Windows.