[Wine] Make sure that Visual Studio works before 1.2 release

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Mon Jul 12 02:02:40 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 08:23, ahso <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> Such appears perverted to me....why not use Eclipse and GCC. Those are not only superior but also cross platform.
>
> Creating nowadays apps with VS, means losing market share. Mac has a way to large user base to ignore, like Win users do with Linux. Also Mac and Linux compilations are nearly the same.

The code have a much larger effect than the compiler... (If you write
ANSI C / C++ it should compile anywhere... Using platform specific
libraries breaks portability, the specific library is not relevant
(compiling a program relying on POSIX libraries under Windows is not
that much different than compiling something dependant on MFC on a
Unix))

Changing the behaviour of 3rd party developers is probably a lost cause....

(.NET code is actually about as portable as Java, except that
Microsoft only supplies an environment for Windows and developers
ignore it and use OS specific functionality (such as Windows-only
DLLs). Its quite possible for a pure .NET 2.0 application to run fine
on Windows (x86, x64 and IA-64), Windows CE (if kept within limits of
compact .NET framework) and Linux / Solaris / OS X using Mono)

Gert