[Wine] Kernel 2.6.35 and .Net Framework

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Mon Jul 12 12:14:27 CDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-07-12 at 09:24 -0700, James Mckenzie wrote:
> ncl <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> >Sent: Jul 12, 2010 9:01 AM
> >To: wine-users at winehq.org
> >Subject: [Wine]  Re: Kernel 2.6.35 and .Net Framework
> >
> >Hej DanKegel!
> >
> >Thanks for your reply.
> >
> >But this problem also exist before wine 1.2 was released. If I boot into kernel 2.6.33
> >and also 2.6.34rc? I have no problem. If I boot into kernel 2.6.34(stable version) or
> >2.6.35 I get an access denied. I use the same installation of wine.
>
> Are you using any of the enhanced security features of Linux?  This
> should not occur just because of Wine.  This appears to be a Linux
> kernel issue but may be a permissions issue.  Can you look at the
> permissions for $HOME/.wine and all of the directories/files
> underneath it?  They should all be owned by the current user and
> group.

If the OP has SELinux or AppArmor enabled this will drop in an
additional set of traps. I'm unclear about exactly AppArmor does or how
it works, or exactly which security package each distro uses, but Fedora
uses SELinux. This adds its own security labels to all filing system
objects which can and often do override standard file access
permissions. Its OK when running standard packages within fairly
restrictive guidelines, but if you're doing anything outside this, it
can be a real pain because you can find your end up relabelling great
chunks of the filing system and rebooting to see whether that helped.

I don't know how this affects Wine and Wine apps because I have SELinux
disabled on the machine where I run them, but it can be a major problem
for some Apache configurations.

If the OP is running one of these, he should try setting it to
'Permissive' or 'Disabled' and see if that helps. He'll probably have to
reboot after making the change for it to take effect.

SELinux 'Permissive' mode allows things that 'Enforcing' mode would
forbid but logs them for analysis. 'Enforcing' mode is the default.
'Disabled does what it says on the tin.

Martin