[Wine] For what reason the "official" Wine does not support USB ?

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Thu Jul 15 12:14:44 CDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 19:02, Marc Chamberlin <marc at marcchamberlin.com> wrote:
> James -  Thanks for your replies...   I have not had any USB issues either,
> with using my Passport under Linux/Wine until I upgraded to rc7. And then I
> started experience all sorts of problems... Typically, the drive would mount
> OK as far as Linux was concerned, then I would use wine to launch to
> PortableApps control application. That much would "appear" to work fine, but
> then I would launch the PortableApps version of Thunderbird, Firefox or some
> other app and soon discover that the Passport drive was no longer writable
> and act as if it had been mounted somehow as a read-only device. (Not true,
> it was originally mounted as read/write) That in turn, of course, lead to
> these apps crashing and locking up the drive. I would have to kill the
> processes at that point, and it was at this point I discovered that the
> Passport file system had become corrupted. Dropping back to an earlier
> version of wine has resolved this and my Passport is again working fine.
> Therefore I must disagree with you as the evidence seems to strongly
> indicate this is a wine issue and not a Linux one...

Is the drive still actually writable under Linux directly?

I have a 80GB (internal IDE) drive (with an ext3 partition) that
sometimes stop being writeable (from native applications) until I
reboot... (It seem to not happen since I upgraded to a new version of
Ubuntu)

The corruption also should not be possible to be done by Wine..
(nothing run as a non-root user should be able to corrupt a
filesystem...)

It might be that the way files are handled under Win changed between
the two version that might trigger a bug elsewhere? Finding which
change caused this is where a regression test would be handy... (For
something that takes long to test like this issue apparently it is
quite frustrating...)

Gert