[Wine] For what reason the "official" Wine does not support USB ?

Marc Chamberlin marc at marcchamberlin.com
Thu Jul 15 13:40:24 CDT 2010

  On 7/15/2010 11:17 AM, John Drescher wrote:
>> Thanks Gert for your thoughts! No, once the drive changed states to being
>> read-only, after running my wine apps, the only recourse I have to getting
>> it going again is to reboot. I cannot dismount the drive as Linux continues
>> to believe some process is using it, even though I have killed all the
>> PortableApps processes and stopped the wine server itself. It is interesting
>> to note that whenever I get into trouble with using the Passport drive,
>>   even the Linux system itself cannot dismount the drive during its shutdown
>> process. Which is really surprising since dismounting all drives is one of
>> the last things that happens, after all other system and user processes have
>> been terminated!
>>
> Look at your dmesg output. To me this sounds like a HW failure or a kernel bug.\
>
> John

Hmmm kernel possibly, hardware doubtful - I do not have any troubles
like this when using the Passport under Windoz... This problem occurred
on several different Linux systems all running the same version of
openSuse 11.2.. I don't want to get heavily involved in trying to run
tests however, got too many other projects in the fire, so I don't want
to reinstall Wine rc7 again.. Just want to report I had an issue and am
willing to submit a bug report..

One way I can sometimes recreate the dismount problem, is to
"accidentally" disconnect the USB drive while it is mounted. Linux can
get confused about it when I then reconnect the drive, but not always,
sometimes Linux does recover gracefully by killing off any apps that
were using the drive at the time of the disconnect. Sometimes however,
Linux fails to recover and then the drive becomes unable to be
dismounted.  (this scenario happens once in awhile to me, easy to pull
the USB chord out of the USB socket, but it was NOT a factor when I
tried to use wine rc7 and got the previously mentioned failures) But I
am not sure that this particular issue is of interest to the wine
developers...

    Marc..