[Wine] Wizard101 Game and Website unreachable

Ace Blackwell wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sat Jul 17 09:45:41 CDT 2010

I'm running Slackware64 on an HP dv2500 laptop. I'm using WINE 1.2 though've I've gotten the same issue on multiple WINE rev attemps. I'm using IE7 as installed by winetricks though I also have the same results with Firefox through winetricks as well at IE6.

I'm having trouble accessing some websites such as Wizard101. IE7 acts like it's connecting but never does. It actually locks WINE up and I have to "kill" out of it.  I don't use IE7 to browse but I'm running the online game through WINE and it is also having the issue of not being able to connect to the same website. It's like it's being blocked some how. Using firefox under Linux (without WINE)doesn't seem to have the issue. As a matter of fact, I used to run the game on WINE up until the last few weeks. I was having trouble with other WINE supported programs so I opted to update. Now, even putting things back like they were before the update will not allow me to access the website needed for the game.

Does WINE use a different port to access sites/internet, than regular linux/firefox access? Why would it allow me to access Google and some other sites but not Wizazrd101.com?

Sorry for the long note but wanted to be thorough.

Thanks in advance
Ace