[Wine] Wine 1.2 binary for Mac OSX

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 21 08:47:35 CDT 2010

ahso <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>Sent: Jul 21, 2010 1:42 AM
>To: wine-users at winehq.org
>Subject: [Wine]  Re: Wine 1.2 binary for Mac OSX
>
>Why not integrate that in Wine?
>- I do a Installer.exe to give to Mac/Lin/Win users
>- Users won't have to bother about each app. Like myself I'm running a dozen Win applications on Linux.
>
>Anyway compiling a static Wine binary should be no problem?

That's been tried and it does not work.  Wine HAS to integrate with what is offered.  Thus, there are several projects to integrate Wine with MacOSX.  Wineskin, WineBottler, MacPorts and Fink all offer a method of installing Wine using various methods.

What you are talking about in the first item is to build an installer for Wine.  Apple's installer is notoriously 'broken' and even Apple says not to use it for packages that maybe de-installed at a later time.  The 'preferred' method is drag-n-drop into the Applications folder with information being held for the specific program in $HOME (~)/Library/Application Support/<Application Name>/...  This is how WineBottler and Wineskin work.  Fink has a 'smarter' installer, so it installs into /usr/local/.  I don't use MacPorts, but reports are that it installs programs into /opt.  None of these install any application software directly into /usr (symbolic links, yes, programs, no.)

Also, Wine is and will remain a user-space application.  Windows is a different animal, it is a full blown operating system.  What we are trying to do is layer the Windows32/Windows64 APIs on top of the UNIX/Linux layer to give the ability to run Windows compliant programs.  We are not trying to duplicate .NET or any other functionality that is ADDITIONAL to these APIs.  That is the scope of another project.

You are, of course, welcome to attempt to build a full installer with all of the required add-ons.  The last time I checked the disk image file was on the order of 200MB or more.  I don't 'fiddle' with that anymore (it was called Darwine.)

James McKenzie