[Wine] missing ipconfig.exe

came wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Jul 21 11:19:05 CDT 2010

hey all,

i am trying to run a program called 'kintecus' on a mac. it was originally written for win (and linux) machines, so i ended up using wine (to get the windows version running).

the problem is, it creates a 'unique computer ID' which you have to send to the author in order for it to work (he will provide then a code that allows you to run the program). this is done when it starts for the first time. in my case, the program crashes with the following output:

wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\ipconfig.exe"
File not found

so essentially, it is missing 'ipconfig.exe' for whatever reason in particular.
since other programs can access the internet (firefox), the problem must lay somewhere else.
i was wondering if there was any other program that also has to use 'ipconfig.exe' so that i might simply take the same instructions (e.g. for winetricks).

running wine 1.2rc7 (and kintecus.v3.962), everything should be quite up to date. reinstalling wine (+ deleting ~/.wine) didn't do the job.

i am pretty new to all this stuff, but i did my best in figuring out the problem on my own - up till now.

thanks in advance,
carl