[Wine] missing ipconfig.exe

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Wed Jul 21 23:30:01 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 22:57, came <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> so cool!
>
> thanks a lot, gert - that was great help!
>
> should i still set up this AppDB entry and a bug report?

A bug report with something like "ipconfig.exe not implemented" or
"Kinectus needs ipconfig.exe" and the relevant logs, ect for the
application makes sense... (it also makes sense to show in the bug
report thast the application is only dependant on ipconifg's output
and doesn't want to use it to change settings) Read through this wiki
page: http://wiki.winehq.org/Bugs people on bugzilla can be somewhat
grumpy if you do certain things...

The AppDB is a good place to past workarounds like this.

Some more things about this hack:
It might be a good idea to take the "ipconfig /all" output of one of
your systems. (I have a Windows XP in virtualbox, which is where I got
that output) The application probably want the MAC address and feeding
it another box with the application's MAC address (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address for background on why the
application would want to use that) might result in a license file for
that box being usable... (This is where the potential crack part come
in..) For applications needing some more output (or performing proper
checks on the output) from ipconfig, it might require some more
editing.

This trick mainly works because Wine allows native applications to run
and that making a shell script work as an executable is really easy...

Gert