[Wine] Wine 1.2 breaking VSTs, making unusable/glitchy. these plugins have been platinum for a long time :( now are almost useless

Peter L Jones gmane at drealm.info
Fri Jul 23 01:56:07 CDT 2010

Hi Jordan,

The WINE guys pay very little attention to WineASIO and real-time JACK usage as
it's not one of their larger support demands - games and office apps hugely
dominate.  (If you look at the small number of people who use a PC for doing
"real" media work, you'll see why.)

When WineASIO was being developed, there was some push for changes in WINE and,
as I understand it, these changes were made or patches applied.

However, WineASIO isn't currently under development (I'm maintaining the source
on sourceforge but I rarely have Linux running).

The other group you'd expect to have an interest are the JACK users and
developers.  However, they have more interest in getting Linux "up to speed" as
a full media system without reliance on Windows software, so again have little
interest in spending time on WineASIO.  Again, changes in JACK can be pushed
for and made.

What's needed here is someone with the development skills, time and motivation
to keep WineASIO current with both WINE and JACK, identifying changes needed
either in WineASIO or the projects its dependent upon and getting these made.

And that's where it falls down, unfortunately -- unless someone steps up and
takes that challenge, WineASIO will slowly fall into dereliction.

I've a wishlist of things I plan to do should I ever get time to work on
WineASIO (getting it working in 64bit has recently been added as I imagine it
doesn't show up to 64bit apps).  One of them is merging in JackWASIO - which
seems more actively maintained.  Indeed, my approach might be to generate a
patch to JackWASIO and close down WineASIO.

Hope this helps you understand the situation.  I'm afraid I can't help with the
frustration it causes.

-- Peter