[Wine] Java virtual machine problem on wine

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Sat Jul 24 05:36:20 CDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-07-24 at 08:49 +0200, Frédéric Delanoy wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 01:22, Martin Gregorie <martin at gregorie.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2010-07-23 at 15:45 -0500, chamanx64 wrote:
> >> Code:
> >> $ wine java helloworld
> >> hello world
> >> $ wine java -Xmx500M helloworld
> >> Error occurred during initialization of VM
> >> Could not reserve enough space for object heap
> >> Could not create the Java virtual machine.
> >>

> > What version of Java (show the output from  "java -version") and is this
> > Java for Windows or your native OS?
>
> Since he uses wine to run java, it's obviously the windows version.

Some people persist in running really old Java releases (Sun SE versions
from 1.4 to 1.6 are all still common) and there *are* a number of
sources other than Sun/Oracle, you know. OpenJava and the IBM version,
for instance. Sun/Oracle supports a bare JRE, not to mention the SE, EE
and ME JDKs. On top of that there are 32 bit and 64 bit JVMs. Last but
not yet forgotten, there are still people trying to use the broken MS
Java 1.1.

It may be obvious that the OP is using Windows, but we need to know
which JDK he's using and why he thinks its necessary to run a Windows
JVM rather than a native one.

> He tries to run wine32 java under wine, not native linux version.

Your supposition. The OP didn't say which JVM he was using or show us
the actual error message, just the failing command line. We don't even
know how much RAM his machine has or how much swap space he allocated.
He may simply have a small RAM with no swap space and, by requesting
500MB of heap for an apparently tiny program he may have oversubscribed
memory.

Martin