[Wine] Wine 1.2 breaking VSTs, making unusable/glitchy. these plugins have been platinum for a long time :( now are almost useless

jordan johnston triplesquarednine at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 21:49:55 CDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 9:33 PM, James McKenzie
<jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Peter L Jones wrote:
>>
>> Hi Jordan,
>>
>> The WINE guys pay very little attention to WineASIO and real-time JACK
>> usage as
>> it's not one of their larger support demands - games and office apps
>> hugely
>> dominate.  (If you look at the small number of people who use a PC for
>> doing
>> "real" media work, you'll see why.)
>>
>> When WineASIO was being developed, there was some push for changes in WINE
>> and,
>> as I understand it, these changes were made or patches applied.
>>

> Actually WineASIO, as I understand it, is not a part of the basic Wine
> package.  Maintaining this code would be up to those who made it.  Jack
> support continues to be fluid.  This may all be superseded by support for
> OpenAL.

yes, you are correct, we both understand that wineasio isn't
core-wine. I only half-agree on jack support being "fluid".
It continues, and is decently supported. but it is also a fact that
wine apps can cause xruns, and this is often associated with
the graphical emulation in wine(i can't prove this myself, but i have
read this a lot in forums). so don't don't know if i could claim
fluid, but jack is definetly supported, and i am glad. wine is truly
brilliant, and i respect those who having the knowledge
and skills to develop it.

> However, you have a real problem that needs to have a bug report submitted
> for the appropriate product.

yes, you are correct. I am going to have another stab at it this week,
when i can make some time. i am going to test wine - ie: registry,
versions, etc, one by one. I think it started to break around 1.2rc-6.
gimme a few days, i am going to read up the Wine wiki, bug reporting,
debugging, etc. so i can have a better grasp as to what is going on,
and how to go about things.

thanks james

jordan