[Wine] Monkey Island 2: Special Edition from Steam

edmicman wineforum-user at winehq.org
Tue Jul 27 09:54:32 CDT 2010

I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 64bit on a Thinkpad T500, I believe I'm using the integrated Intel GMA 4500MHD graphics that come with it.  I'm using the default WINE install, I think version 1.1.42.  I'm trying to run Monkey Island 2: Special Edition downloaded from Steam.

It actually sort of works.  It installed just fine.  When I first ran it gave me a blank screen and that was it.  Per the comments on the app page (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=20722), I installed and ran driconf and selected the enable ST3C option.  Note: I haven't done the part with compiling or installing "libtxc_dxtn.so" yet.

After I enabled the driconf option, the game started, showed the initial LucasArts logo, had a flickering screen (one time this actually showed Guybrush tapping his foot...a waiting screen or something?), and then the main game menu came up.  From there I was able to play the game.  So I'm close, but still having these problems:

1) I can't get sound to work.  I've marked the ALSA box in Wine config, and the test sound plays.  But I don't get any sound or music when I am in the game.

2) For some reason it is now starting the game in a windowed mode.  I swear the first time I did it, before I enabled sound in Wine, it was running fullscreen.  There's no option to maximize, and I'm not seeing a config setting.  Is there something somewhere I need to set?

3) I still occasionally have graphics issues.  It seems like 1 out of every 3 or 4 times I launch the game, I just get the plain black screen.  I'll close out, start it again, and then it'll come up.  But still no sound.

I guess my questions are do I need to compile/do that ST3C stuff?  What does that really do, and how will it affect the rest of my system?  I'm just wary of messing with the graphics stuff on my machine because I've tried to enable the discrete ATI drivers before on my system and it killed xorg and everything...it was a pain getting things back to usable.  So I've stuck with the integrated graphics, but they seem to work pretty well.

How can I get the sound to work?  Is there any way to test what the game is doing or something?  I'm not seeing any errors or messages reported in any logs, so I'm not sure where to start.

Any other suggestions or help or anything else I should try?  Thanks for any info!