[Wine] Attempting to bypass .net check/use mono

Vincent Povirk madewokherd at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 23:31:20 CDT 2010

> I am using wine 1.2 installed through the ubuntu ppa.  I am using 64 bit ubuntu so my lib directory is /usr/lib32/wine though I don't know if that makes much difference.  Also my full path for the v2 .NET folder is:

I'm not sure, but I don't think it should matter.

> ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727
>
> Not sure if it makes any difference since you didn't have the windows folder between drive_c and Microsoft.NET.  The error message I'm getting is pointing to my directory anyway.

That was my mistake, sorry.

the ngen.exe file in the c: drive is a stub dll. It essentially tells
wine to look elsewhere (a .exe.so file) for the actual code. So if you
copy it that way, you need an mscorsvw.exe.so file for it to work.

The ngen.exe in Wine is nothing special, just a stub that prints its
arguments. Any old .exe file would probably work just as well.

But this is a very hacky way of doing it.

Could you file a bug about this and CC me, as a reminder that we need
a real replacement in Wine?