[Wine] Deleting .wine as root

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 28 14:46:44 CDT 2010

Bob <benjie1 at cox.net> wrote:
>Sent: Jul 28, 2010 4:32 PM
>To: James Mckenzie <jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net>
>Subject: Deleting .wine as root
>
>Hi James. Not sure how to delete .wine as root. I have to cd to
>/home/benjie1 and the .wine is there.
>
>Can I delete it using yum in fedora?

No, yum is a package manager.  You would delete the Wine program(s) using it.

>The .wine doesn't show in the terminal with ls. I guess cause
>it's hidden.

Correct.  All files that start with a dot (.) are systems files and are hidden in the File Finder (nautilis).

>I can go to the desktop folder /home/benjie1 and just
>delete it but I'm not root then, right?

No.  Since the file was created as root you will either have to su to root and then use the rm -rf .wine/* command while in the /home/benjie1 directory or you can use sudo rm -rf /home/benjie1/.wine while logged in as benjie1.

BE VERY CAREFUL using the rm -rf command!  If you do this from / or any other directory, you can destroy your file system resulting in a full reinstallation of Fedora.

>So how do I get this done?

See the Wine FAQ for further directions at http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ

James McKenzie