[Wine] Re: migrating windows applications by packing wine+app in a deb?

liberavia wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jun 6 13:40:44 CDT 2010

Well fine discussion round is open now :D

My example, which i studied a bit is the teamviewer deb.

So I can say if you have teamviewer installed, a startscript creates a file /home/your_home/.teamviewer/ (if not done yet). There you find all nessassary linking against the whole wine-instance in opt. Wine-Registry is copied to .teamviewer not linkes.

I had a really short look on the picasa deb but it seems to work the same way as teamviewer does.

> I'm not a Linux expert.. but couldn't you bundle it up, and have scripts go to the right locations... much like I do with Wineskin  for OSX. I have no problems with a single install of Wine and an app installed in it being moved from computer to computer with different user names working fine.... but this may be due to differences in OSX... I haven't seen anyone make something like that for Linux, but it seems like just symlinks and proper launch scripts would work fine.

yes this is what i want to reach for linux machines ;)  a scripting framework which can create a bundle of wine + app or a least i guide how to get things work like in teamviewer or picasa.

Thats why I first posted at the playonlinux board because they seem be able to handle different wine-installations and assign different programs to different wine versions.

So I thought that playonlinux and its scripts could be a good base for creating bundled debs. Unfortunatly there is no post-reply at the moment. So I'm really glad that I found someone to discuss this topic :-)

I figured out a problem which i feel unable to solve. It's the stand-alone wine(-server) installation. How can I build multiple side-by-side working installations of wine?

Teamviewer does it like this before wineserver instance is started:

Code:
export WINELOADER=/path/to/wine/in/opt
export WINESERVER=/path/to/wineserver/in/opt

before he starts the instance and this is how he starts it

Code:
if [ "$1" = "wineserver" ]
then
	shift
	exec "${WINESERVER:-wineserver}" "$@"
else
	exec "${WINELOADER:-wine}" "$exe" "$@"
fi

true

You will even find a killscript which i didn't figure out when this is called. Perhaps one of you? I just can make the guess, that you have a look on your own how things are wrapped for this package.

As I said before, I really would like to know how to get a stand-alone wine instance working, without the need of a system-wide installation, compilation stuff?

Hope someone can assist me with that.

Regards

André [/code]