[Wine] Re: Trying to Get EMBIRD32 Working Under Wine

oldefoxx wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jun 6 19:02:41 CDT 2010

Gert van den Berg wrote:
> If it is the application at www.embird.com, its basic installer
> consists of a WinZip self-extractor that then runs some wizard (after
> starting program manager?!). It eventually fails due to program group
> creation issues?
>
> (I quickly tested it... I'm waiting for a server to complete something
> and didn't have much else to do...)
>
> Setup log starts with:
> $ wine embrd2k10b87.exe
> fixme:mountmgr:harddisk_ioctl unsupported ioctl 4d004
> fixme:shell:Dde_OnWildConnect stub
> fixme:shell:Dde_OnWildConnect stub
> fixme:shell:Dde_OnWildConnect stub
> fixme:shell:Dde_OnWildConnect stub
> fixme:shell:Dde_OnWildConnect stub
> fixme:shell:Dde_OnWildConnect stub
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {ac129136-eb1c-4fff-b0a2-6d6761be4138}
> not registered
> err:ole:create_server class {ac129136-eb1c-4fff-b0a2-6d6761be4138} not
> registered
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object
> {ac129136-eb1c-4fff-b0a2-6d6761be4138} could be created for context
> 0x5
>
> Log then contains lots of these:
> fixme:reg:RegSetKeySecurity :(0x1c,4,0x92e150): stub
>
> And this at the end:
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {ac129136-eb1c-4fff-b0a2-6d6761be4138}
> not registered
> err:ole:create_server class {ac129136-eb1c-4fff-b0a2-6d6761be4138} not
> registered
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object
> {ac129136-eb1c-4fff-b0a2-6d6761be4138} could be created for context
> 0x5
>

> Gert

Well, it's the right site and the right product, but it is not the same version,  Your fle name expands out to signify 2010, making it the most current version. The 8.00 Build 6 that my wife has is quite a bit older.
However, the indications when running the installer are not all that different.  What I am partticularly noting is an overflow errot  thst appears in the terminal if if run it as a wine embrd800.exe command.
Let me do this again and give more precise details.

or been moved out of Incoming.

  wine1.2: Conflicts: wine1.0 but 1.0.1-0ubuntu13 is to be installed
  wine1.2-dev: Conflicts: wine1.0-dev but 1.0.1-0ubuntu13 is to be installed
  wine1.2-gecko: Conflicts: wine1.0-gecko but 0.1.0-0ubuntu1 is to be installed

If I use the package manager, no problems are reported.  If I use apt-get install, it makes no distinction between a request for wine1*,
wine1.0* or wine1.2*, the problems above are always reported at the end:

This comes up in its own message block at the very end and cannot be closed or ended from within the GUI

"The Wine configuraton in
/home/oldefoxx/.wine is being updated,
please wait..."

Yes, but the waiting never ends.  Now I am going to try to run the installer again, and this is what comes up in the terminal:

It takes several minutes but I finally get the following message block on the screen:

WinZip Self Extractpr - embrd800.exe
This program will install Embird Plus 8.00 Bujild 6 on your computer
Press SETUP button to proceed with installaton

After pressing SETUP, it goes to the Embird Plus Setup page, which is mostly about te licensing agreement and which drive to install to.
At the same time, this message appears a couple of times on the terminal:

fixme:ntdll:server_ioctl_file Unsupported ioctl 24000 (device=2 access=1 func=0 method=0)

So I accept the agreement, say the C: drive, and then press install.  A window comes up showing status bar extened, which likely being an indication of file extraction and copying,  Then another window with this message:

Embird Plus Setup
But here you pick the nature of file associations to be tied to Embird going forward.  I usually pick All, and let it go at that. You can also enable the Iconizer and set an icon size.  then you click OK.

Meanwhile some more messages have come up on the terminal:

Note that '/home/oldefoxx/.local/share' is not in the search path
set by the XDG_DATA_HOME and XDG_DATA_DIRS
environment variables, so applications may not
be able to find it until you set them. The
directories currently searched are:

- /root/.local/share
- /usr/local/share/
- /usr/share/

Then you get this error message:
"Cannlot create Program Group!
installstikon failed"

There is an Okay button, and clicking on it causes the message to go away.  Then the Program Manager pops up, but there is nothing to see om its background.  That seems to be it.