[Wine] Configure Wine to run only one application

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 11 12:13:35 CDT 2010

Bonxie <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote at Jun 11, 2010 9:12 AM:

>Thanks, I will have to scratch my head for a while about this.
>I'm dealing with folk who can only just copy a file, this could take some time!
>If I solve the problem I will get back to you.

As an (ISC)2 SSCP, I can state that many companies have tried to institute what you want, but the biggest thing you can do is educate.  Teach your users to NOT click on that link and to NOT install software unless it comes from your company.  Your company should also use AV scanners.  ClamAV is available for Linux and is very inexpensive.  Also your company might want to look at using imaging to rebuild systems that have been infected with malware, which does exist for Linux and MacOSX, quickly.  Again, configuring Wine to support non-installation of software is complex and in some cases bypassable.

As to the regular Wine audience, this topic has been brought up in the past and will be in the future.  Please take time to carefully read through the above.  Basically, a small dose of prevention (that is preventing people from reaching sites with malware) is a lot easier than correcting (that is rebuilding every system in your enterprise).  This has been true for a long time and should be common knowledge among system administrators and system operators.

Very respectfully,

James McKenzie