[Wine] Certified Fraud Prep Exam

Martin Gregorie martin at gregorie.org
Tue Jun 15 14:37:08 CDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 13:46 -0500, kgalbraith wrote:
> at this point, it's a mute issue.  Something corrupted my HD, and I am
> forced to reinstall F13
>
> The only thing new I did today, is install the 2 programs required by
> CFE to run, and tried to install a VM of win 7.

Is it possible that, while installing W7 in the VM, you managed to
reformat the disk as NTFS and/or damage the partition table?

> Now, when I boot, I get gnome power manager not installed correctly,
> and my HD is unmountable if i boot with a live CD.

If you haven't yet overwritten the disk, I suggest you boot the F13 DVD
in recovery mode and look at the partitions to see if all the partitions
you originally created are still there and what they are formatted as.
Hopefully this will help you work out what went wrong.

If the VM/W7 install caused the problem if might be a good idea to set
the disk up for dual boot and get both F13 and W7 installed and bootable
before doing anything else. Older Windows installers were most unwilling
to share a disk with a second OS. If this also applies to W7's installer
then install W7 first, leaving plenty of unallocated disk space. Then
install F13 in this space: we know that the Fedora installer is happy to
work this way. Hint: do a custom install so you get to specify the Linux
partition(s), their sizes and which partitions get formatted rather than
leaving it to the installer's default set-up.

Of course, this assumes that the VM can be installed and configured to
run a pre-existing W7 installation.

In any case, as soon as you have F13 running again I suggest you get the
W7 set-up running in the VM before you do more than minimal set-up on
the Linux side.

Martin