[Wine] Re: Keyboard focus in 'some' wine apps (games)

ngoonee wineforum-user at winehq.org
Sun Jun 20 11:56:34 CDT 2010

James McKenzie wrote:

> > ngoonee wrote:
> >
> > > Tried it out (without debug logs). Nothing interesting, it looks the
> > > same with or without clicking outside the window. In this case, I
> > > click on a gedit window, subsequent keypresses are registered in the
> > > gedit window instead of in the wine window. In both logs all I do is
> > > start the game, load the same saved game, and try to use the 'g' key.
> > >
> > > Should I do full debug logs, and which channels would be important?
> > > As stated, it doesn't seem like anything errors out, wine just loses
> > > keyboard focus and doesn't get it back. I can click and continue to
> > > play, but pressing 'g' just makes a 'g' appear in gedit.
> > >
> > > http://pastebin.com/NF3UHhLj
> > >

> > Again, does this happen with e-sword?
> >
> > Also, some of the shortcut keys require a special key like ALT or
> > CNTRL, are these affected?
> >

> Answered my own question.  Pasting does work (Cntrl+V) as well as other
> functions.  Cntrl+Fn keys are special on a Mac.  I'll have to look at
> them.  However, typing gggggg and any other sequence of characters will
> go to the current open window (I used the note area in e-Sword).
>
> Also you might be interested in Bug 23123 which was filed against
> Wine-1.2-rc2.
>
> James McKenzie

Appreciate your assistance on this. e-Sword does work in my case, in that clicking on the note area allows me to type into the note area (focus regained by wine).

Checked out the bug, did not seem to apply. I'm running 1.2-rc3, should the reversion have taken place for that? Also the behaviour I'm describing didn't start with 1.2, happened with 1.1.23 onwards at least (perhaps before but I wasn't using it then yet.