[Wine] Diablo 2 LOD not patching or playable

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 26 22:32:53 CDT 2010

Chrislinux wrote:
> oiaohm wrote:
>
>> Chrislinux playonline not supported here.
>>
>> http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=315  Should work without needing playonline.   Most likely suspect here is playonline has installed something they should not have.  Ie nothing extra should be installed to run this game.
>>
>> Then followed by since you are on Ubuntu is compiz causing opengl to glitch.
>>
>> Followed by pulseaudio causing audio lag putting game timing out.
>>

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I looked at the link and then noticed that the game runs better in windowed mode and when I tried it that way it let me click options on the main screen but crashes when I try to go into an actual game giving me the following error:
> Halt location line #2016 unrecoverable internal error 6fdc2d42

Sounds like the game is crashing.  This is not a Wine issue at this point.
> Do you think uninstalling the game, playonlinux and wine (which was packaged with playonlinux so might have been changed) and then reinstalling wine and the game might help?

It definitely will get you help from us, but it may not fix the problem.

> As for the compiz thing; would turning the settings down help or would that have to be uninstalled as well? (if possible)

How about turning it off.  Wine and compiz cause problems when run
together.

> It says in the write up for Ubuntu that in windowed mode the audio problems are gone so I am guessing that would mean that as long as I play it windowed I don't need to worry about pulseaudio.

Pulseaudio causes many problems that it was not designed to fix in the
first place.  It is sort of like stuffing a sandwich with bread instead
of meat, cheese and vegetables.  If you could get rid of it, that would
be much better.  Wine is moving towards the openal interface which is
supposed to be better at audio support and removes several layers of
drivers.

Also, using the latest development version of Wine, currently 1.2-rc5,
is always preferred.  However, if the game does not work with this
version but does with a prior version, we would love to know.

James McKenzie