[Wine] Raw USB mass storage device access

James McKenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 27 11:18:39 CDT 2010

Martin Gregorie wrote:

>>> I'd be quite surprised if a program running in normal user space, i.e.
>>> not as root, can do that.
>>>

>> Possibly after some 'sudo chmod oga+w /dev/sda' kind of commands?
>>

> In my system (Fedora 12) both the disk and its partitions are owned by
> root and are in the disk group with ug+rw permissions, so the simplest
> solution may be to add the user, where wine is run, to the disk group.
>
> This applies to both the internal disk and a USB mass storage device. I
> just plugged a key-fob camera, which uses a micro-SD card to store
> images, into this laptop to check:

Access to raw devices within Windows is very difficult without either
special kernel level code or a specific driver.  Wine supports neither
of these options.  However, I'm wondering if RAW access (like that
preferred by Oracle) is possible from within Windows.  It may not be
impossible to do this with Wine, but it will be very difficult.

James McKenzie