[Wine] Installing from a CD

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 28 10:37:18 CDT 2010

scyntax <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
>Sent: Jun 27, 2010 10:37 PM
>To: wine-users at winehq.org
>Subject: [Wine]  Installing from a CD
>
>Trying to install astronomy software by right-clicking on exe file and selecting "open
>with wine windows program loader". this causes the following error:
>
>The file '/media/10 09 2008/Windows/setup.exe' is not marked as executable.  If this
>was downloaded or copied form an untrusted source, it may be dangerous to run.  For
>more details, read about the executable bit.
>
>I am unable to change the bit because this is a cd file. what do i need to do to
>install this program?

There are three things you can do:

1. Copy the entire contents of the CD to a directory on your hard drive.
2. Set the executiable bit anyway.  This can be done by changing the parameters for mounting the CD in the fstab file (make a backup in case you mess up.)
3. Force the installation.

Most UNIXy programs will try to write their temporary files to the same location as the installation.  Windows programs use whatever is set as %TMP%.  That is set through the Windows Environment.  I'm certain this is set from within Wine's registry.

James McKenzie