[Wine] Wine + "any program" = no sound in one of them

VelvetKLeopard wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Jun 28 14:21:48 CDT 2010

I am not sure if this has come up on the forums.  I tried a search, but didn't find anything pertinent.

I have a problem with sound in Wine.  I am running Wine 1.0.1.

My problem isn't with any particular game or program.  I get very good sound when in a game or program, but if I am in a program under wine and then go outside Wine and start a sound program, like VLC for example, VLC gets no sound.

Conversely, if I am running a sound program, say VLC, and then start up a program, like Diablo II LOD or any other program with sound, the Wine app gets no sound, but VLC keeps it.

So to summarize, I can have sound in one or the other, but never both.

I am using Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala 32-bit version.

I used to run Ubuntu 8.04 with Wine and never had this problem.  Any help would be more than appreciated.