[Wine] Wine + "any program" = no sound in one of them

Gert van den Berg wine-users at mohag.net
Mon Jun 28 15:26:11 CDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 21:21, VelvetKLeopard <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:
> I am not sure if this has come up on the forums.  I tried a search, but didn't find anything pertinent.
>
> I have a problem with sound in Wine.  I am running Wine 1.0.1.

The wine-1.2 series might work better (It have had more than a year of
development since then...) It might also have new bugs...

http://www.winehq.org/download/deb/ has upgrade instructions....

> Conversely, if I am running a sound program, say VLC, and then start up a program, like Diablo II LOD or any other program with sound, the Wine app gets no sound, but VLC keeps it.
>
> So to summarize, I can have sound in one or the other, but never both.

f you are not using pulseaudio, is dmix working / do you have a card
with hardware mixing? On some cards, ALSA without dmix allows only one
program to use the soundcard at a time...

Can you run non-Wine apps at the same time with sound from all?

> I am using Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala 32-bit version.

Some details on Wine's sound settings and your audio configuration
might be useful.... (Have you removed pulseaudio, soundcard (relevant
lspci lines might work))

(Note: Someone else is probably better at helping you fix the actual
problem... I'm ussually not to bad at guessing revelant debug info...)

Logs (obtained by running wine from the console (ssee FAQ)) might also
be useful. An example of starting an application when sound works and
when it doesn't work in particular..

Gert