[Wine] Re: Never had an app work in WINE

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Mon Mar 1 19:25:58 CST 2010

This thread will probably need to be closed -- the human race is just too pathetic not to keep it alive.

Let me get your facts straight.

Problem: App(s) doesn't(don't) work.

Solution 1:

Read AppDB. Why? Continuously maintained and recommended throughout the Wine website.

No patience to read, solution sucks.

Solution 2:

Ask people in the forums. Required to do something to help.

No patience to do it; change subject by complaining about Wine. Solution sucks.

Solution 3 (the Politically Correct solution):

Run a regression test. It isn't hard at all. Report info, collaborate as requested and test possible fixes.

No patience to do it; Solution sucks.

You see? Even though Wine doesn't force you to collaborate, it is part of your job.

Find a bug? Good! Report it -- it's the *least* you could do. Got extra time? Help debugging and solving it.

Can't seem to find a solution for a bug? Have you followed the AppDB? No?! Then do it, because it's probably answered there, and it is really easy to read.

You seem to think that everyone must be at your disposal, to fix things, answer you and comply with your definition of collaboration. Well, why should they? Do you comply with THEIR definition of collaboration? One which has been considered correct many times and used in many other projects? Does that mean that your solution is better than theirs? I don't think so.

My personal experience with Wine started 3 years ago when I switched to Linux. It's been great. Ran everything (on around 6 different machines; it's even topped Windows), except for some things. It's helped me in terms of work/compatibility, "kid games" and all kinds of things (even in my own debugging of personal apps; it's great after cross-compiling a Win32 exe). I've tested around 50 or so apps, only 5 have failed, I believe. That's ~90% success, in my case. Even if it were only 50%, it'd be a great deed for an open-source project.

Whenever I had problems I came here. It is true that I wasn't always helped, but I searched the AppDB and other things. I've also run regression tests to help fix bugs. Not much, just when I thought it was needed. I also walk around the forum to try and help if I can.

Do I think that some people here are arrogant? I sure do, I can't stand them -- but they help far more than I do and that is more valuable than anything. Just browse the forums, they've given the same answer around 1k times.

The developers, on the other hand, I know few of. Yet, from 1.0 to this date, all I've seen is progress. Sometimes there are regressions -- but they get fixed and I try to help to fix them.

What have you done to help?

Are you thinking of helping?

If not, then find someone who can be payed to fit your crazy criteria.

I should say that I do not have anything to do with Wine's developers / maintainers. I am a user and, therefore, my opinion might not be theirs. Want to flame? Flame on me; but, really, don't, that sucks.

Now if you could point us to the threads which express with all detail what your problems are, please do.

Thanks,

Jorl17