[Wine] Never had an app work in WINE

David C. Kerber dkerber at warrenrogersassociates.com
Tue Mar 2 09:08:50 CST 2010

Why would you run a windows version of firefox under wine on linux?  Just run the linux version...

> Get compatability right! Focus on getting all applications to
> work! Focus on compatibility first!

I would slightly disagree:  focus on compatibility with _apps that don't have linux versions_.  Don't worry about getting the windows versions of firefox, thunderbird, etc, working.

> At the rate things are going, i dont expect wine to be
> useable EVER. The 1.0 designation is complete undeserved as
> this software is still a pile of crap that runs hardly
> anything except a game that some kid uses correctly! They

That's not my experience.  I did some testing with several in-house apps we use, and only one special case version of one app didn't work properly, and we only have 4 of that version in the field.  The versions that runs on our other 800 or so installations work fine.