[Wine] Never had an app work in WINE

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 11:44:37 CST 2010

On 1 March 2010 21:40, atalaras <wineforum-user at winehq.org> wrote:

> I feel your pain. I have been using wine for several months. One of the few apps i have gotten to work on Wine is Mozilla Firefox. But it seems that 75% of the apps i try are basically unuseable.
> In my opinion, Wine develoeprs are in general self absorbed and arrogant, do not listen to their users, are obsessed with minor performance tweaks that end up breaking applications, and with getting some ridiculous game some kid uses working rather than the really important and big stuff.
> My repeated requests for help here have gone unanswered. I continue to find wine totally useless, with each release seem to have completely meaningless improvements on a few of the niche applications but do not actually get much in general to work right. I am tired of seeing so many compatability neglected while we see some fix for some ridiculous game.

There's really nothing quite like the complaints of someone getting
something for free. It's the sort of thing that makes Monday feel like
Monday.

If you want a commercially, professionally supported version of Wine,
then CrossOver is an excellent way to go.

The open source version works very well for really quite a lot of
people. But it always carries the proviso: if it breaks, you get to
keep both pieces.

- d.