[Wine] Re: Never had an app work in WINE

jorl17 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Wed Mar 3 13:03:55 CST 2010

CasperTFG wrote:
> I think my basic problem is being overlooked.  It doesn't matter what hardware configuration, Linux version, or WINE version I'm using.  NONE of the many configurations or versions have yielded results, and it doesn't even matter what app I've tried to run.  I have to conclude that I'm missing something fundamental, so I asked to be pointed to another source of information because the usual methods are not working for me.  Is there a "WINE For Dummies" that doesn't refer to red or white?  The newer graphic versions of WINE seem very intuitive, but something is not going through for me, and it's very frustrating.
>
> I suspect atalaras is really referring to the forum posters rather than the developers because of replies from people like jorl17 and Bubblegum (whose feelings are summed up by jorl17).  If a beggar on the street asks for a dollar, you either give it to him or you ignore him.  You don't try to rob his self-esteem.  Jorl17 you obviously know how to use WINE well, so please don't insult those of us who don't because it doesn't help anyone.  We're not as knowledgeable as you, and without help we never will be.  And until we can get to your level, there is nothing we CAN contribute in the way of help.  That's like asking a janitor to teach a physics class. The difference between stupidity and ignorance is that ignorance can be fixed.  I'm trying to fix my ignorance.
>
> So I'll ask again.  Can anyone point me to different source of info?  If you're just going to flame, please don't reply at all.  I'd like everyone to understand that I am not a programmer, developer, nor a Linux expert.  Everyone starts at the bottom and works their way up.

You are right, it is true that I quite exceeded what I should have. I am sorry for that. But I should clarify that I did not intend to insult you, ever, and you can re-read the message to check it, I think i never directly insult you, I merely try to show you what was going on (and not particularly with you, but with whom posted before me). And what was going on? People where complaining about support without having checked the support places before.

Since we're going with analogies, here's one:

When you need help on how to use an instrument and you skip reading the instructions, eventually misusing said instrument and breaking something with it, whose fault is it? Is it the manufacturer's fault? No, it's your fault, because you didn't go through the standardized procedure -- reading the instructions.

Same thing applies to the filling of IRS. You can't skip part of it and get your money, you need to follow its rules.

The thing is that this forum and Wine, also has its set of rules and atalares (whom I was talking to) did not seem to follow them -- he *said* he wouldn't follow them. Now that's wrong, and you can't just skip those steps.

That's the point I was trying to establish -- that while I must comply with you; you must comply with me. Once again, I was not directly talking to you.

Now, to the real issue. I can try to help you, maybe you could send me a PM and I'd give you my e-mail and talk with you. I am not a Wine developer, but I can try to do my best if the forums seem to fail. I am available, just ask. But, first, wait some time to see if the forums work something out.

Once again, I am sorry if I offended you, CasperTFG, I recognize I wasn't in one of my best days.

Cheers,

Jorl17