[Wine] Re: Documents do not open when icon is clicked - Ubuntu 9.10

Jonners59 wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Mar 5 02:06:33 CST 2010

James McKenzie wrote:
> Jonners59 wrote:
>
> > Oh, I have no allegiances.  I love trying all the different offerings.  There are lots of funky tools and capabilities in the MS Office 07 and 10, sadly WINE can't work them.
> >

> Wine can install Office 2007.  However, some of us decided a long time
> ago that the folks in Redmond would not get anymore money from us and
> running prirated software is not good for our financial health (here in
> the United States it can and has cost USD 50K per license violation).
> Office 2010 will have a restrictive EULA that will be enforceable in the
> United States and the EU, since there are alternatives to their product.
>
> James McKenzie

If there was a reason to dislike the MS folks, this is it.  What goes around comes around.  As a fairly non techie, but demanding user, I would say that these communities are the best way to counter, but they have to do two things.  Make things easier for the average user to install, setup and run.  And secondly, not underestimate the competition.  The new 2007 and 2010 Office suites are awesome in comparison to alternatives.

Anyway you have my vote.