[Wine] Re: Never had an app work in WINE

atalaras wineforum-user at winehq.org
Fri Mar 5 11:19:49 CST 2010

ttsec wrote:

> atalaras wrote:
> >
> > I have actually seen applications regress. Firefox used to run perfectly, almost, now it wont run at all.
> >
> > Again the developers do not seem to care.
> >
> > I have made repeated requests here for help with firefox, and nothing. How could wine go from running Firefox perfectly to it being completely unusable?
>

> Spending time on specific softwares that can already run natively in Linux is a waste of time.

Actually, that is incorrect. I have used native Linux Firefox and have actually had many problems, particularly flash, and as well, the native one actually tends to be more difficult to update (due to dependancy hell). I have found that installing windows firefox is far easier, and the updates are automated, and flash works well. Linux firefox seems can do none of these things. When Firefox on Wine did work it was better than any Linux firefox i had used.

My disparaging statements previously about Wine developers was untrue, most seem to be dedicated to their work, and their work is appreciated. There is nothing wrongb with getting games to work, any API improvement will improve compatability overall. It does not hurt to run and test some apps, especially ones that are free, such as Firefox, this exposes API problems that will lead to better overall compatability, since many apps use a given API.